Monday 26 July 2010

IDOL interviews artist NUNZIO



Nunzio is the type of person that the further you get away from them, the more you wonder if they’re real. As you become consumed in the reality of the human race, you struggle to believe someone with so much clarity can exist amongst a world obsessed with brands, money and status. We are spoon fed to believe that success and worth is measured by bank accounts, IQ and the length of your CV. It’s hard to see outside of that when the majority of citizens are confirming what we are taught. Nunzio doesn’t exactly blow these beliefs out of the water, rather he laughs at them lightly, turns away and if asked, explains why. Suddenly you are left with a challenging and refreshing perspective from the one you arrived with. Yes, Nunzio Citro , Jamie Oliver chef turned truth talking artist really is that deep. So much so that what was to be a straight forward interview, resulted in a two and a half hour conversation on life.

IDOL met up with Nunzio on a roof top in Islingtion and discussed conspiracy theories, happiness and education over a bag of popcorn and philosophy.

How did you become an artist?
Well, I believe everyone is an artist from the day they are born because everyone expresses themselves and communicates. But I guess it really kicked off when I was working in Cecconi’s, just off Bond Street. That area has very good and expensive art galleries and I used to walk there during my lunch breaks. One day, I stopped in front of the painting of a young Dutch woman who died quite young and when I saw her art I thought “F**k, what am I doing in the kitchen?” I realised then I wanted to become an artist because art is a language that I could easily communicate with others, my language since I have never been really academic.

How old were you when you became a chef?
I was only 21 years old. I was working very hard, around 70 hours per week. I used to overlook London and think about if I was doing the right thing. My parents are in catering so they were very happy I was working for Jamie Oliver, I was on a good path.


Did you ever think you had made a mistake taking that path? Have you ever lost your faith?
No, never. There are no mistakes everything is just changing. “Mistakes” is just your perception of it. Anyway, I was not afraid of making mistakes. Some people asked me “You have wasted your time being a chef?” but you can’t waste time because everything contributes in one way or another to who you are.

Don’t you look back and think that you took the hard path and your life would have been easier working with Jamie Oliver?
Easier, maybe, but I was miserable. You know your life is your stage, you write your own story. I am not going to lie, sometimes it gets hard and I struggle with my work , but I am very confident of what I do and I know this is what I want.

Is not cooking another way of art?
That’s a tricky question! People tend to think, “oh, cooking is so creative!” but no f**cking way! You are following guidelines all the time! Even the head chef has to think about what to put it in the menu because it needs to sell – if not you are out. But still for some people, it is a form of art – as long as you don’t do it for living. You cook what you feel like cooking and how you feel like cooking it, in that sense – yes there’s a sort of creativity in cooking.


What about your photography work, often you incorporate it into your work. Did you study photography when you were younger?

When I went travelling out of the UK. The first place that I picked was Los Angeles (LA), bought a camera, called myself a photographer, made business cards and I became a photographer. I learned with practice. With time I also learned to incorporate different techniques to my work, I always used to write a lot and keep my own journal, dance is quite important as well; I am planning on incorporating ballet into my work.


A lot of artists struggle – particularly in the beginning, how do you cope with that?
You mean how do I put food on the table? Right, I take photos of women who have had plastic surgery for certain companies. Also, I had an exhibition 3 years ago, I sold a lot of paintings and I still have money left over from it. My family own the building where I have my studio, when Iwent away I remembered this place and I thought I want to come back and set up my studio here. That’s about it.


Do you have a measure of success?
I think success is relative. I can tell you what success is for me – for an average person. Success is when you don’t need anything and you don’t want anything, if you can appreciate yourself your surroundings and inspire others to do so. That’s a pretty good thing; that’s being successful.




Final question, do you have any IDOL?
[Laugh] I knew you were going to ask me this question and I thought about and every time I came up with different answers. Not really, I believe life is my IDOL because it is everything. Life is like a blank canvas everyday where you can find your way and yourself.



Interview by Jessica Duffin and Bianca Spada
Pictures by Hana Bauman-Lyons

READ the whole interview in http://idolmag.co.uk/?p=2246

No comments:

Post a Comment